Central in the practice of web personalization, segmentation let you to target very precisely your visitors. In Kameleoon back-office, the segment builder will allow you to create, edit and duplicate your segments.
How to access the Segment Builder
From your preferences
To access the segment builder in your back-office, use the left menu to access the page “Configured sites”.
In this page, you will see the list of your segments. To open the Segment Builder, click on “New segment”
From the personalization creation page
You can also access the Segment builder while you are creating or editing your web personalization. To do so, click on “Add a new segment” in the “Segment exposed to personalization” part.
The segment builder opens in a pop-in
Creating a new segment
Fill in the name and description of your segment
The first fields to fill in are the website on witch you want to create your segment, the name and the description of your segment.
The description is not mandatory but highly recommended to help you identify quickly your segments in the list.
Select and configure a condition
To add a condition, you have to drag and drop it from the list on the left to the "Segment definition" part on the right.
Once you have drag and dropped one condition, you will be able to configure it more precisely.
Set up you condition as you wish to. The conditions available are detailed below in this article.
Choose the weight
For each condition, a weight icon allows you to rank your conditions: the higher the weight, the more important is the condition.
Note that this is an advanced use of web personalization and not mandatory.
By default, all conditions have a weight of 1.
For further information about the use of weight in web personalization, please see our articles Personalization options and How to use weight for condition.
Deleting a condition
To delete a condition, click on the cross located below the weight icon.
Refine or add a new condition
There are two ways to add a new condition while another one is already selected:
- Refine the condition: allows you to precise a condition. It is like adding mathematical parenthesis: (Condition A and Condition B) and Condition C
- Add a new condition: allows you to add a new condition on the same level: Condition A and Condition B and Condition C.
To understand the difference, let’s take the following example:
Three conditions are selected: two of them are linked (first condition was refined), the other is separated (the condition was added).
Our web personalization will be active for visitors arriving from a SEO, exept if they are located in Paris (condition A and condition B) and for all visitors coming from an emailing (condition C)
For further information, please see our article What is the difference between “Refine” and “Add” a condition?
Managing your segments
Editing a segment
To edit a segment, go to the Segment builder to see the list of your segments. In this list, select the segment to edit.
Then, click on the “Edit” button on the top right to edit your segment. Once your changes are done, click on the “Validate” button to save them.
Duplicating a segment
Kameleoon allows you to duplicate an existing segment. It will help you, for example, to create several similar segments. There are two ways to duplicate a segment.
- Duplicate button
Select in the list of your segments the one you wish to duplicate. Once the segment is selected, simply click on the “Duplicate” button on the top right.
The “Create a segment” page opens, with the selected segment parameters set up. Once you have finished setting up the segment, click on the “Validate” button to create your new segment.
- Creating a new segment
You can also duplicate a segment when you are on the segment creation page. From this page, click on the “Load existing segment” button.
A pop-in opens, allowing you to choose on a list which segment you want to duplicate. Click on the “Validate” button to load its parameters.
Set up the segment as you wish, then click on the “Validate” button to create your new segment.
Deleting a segment
To delete a segment, you need to go in the segment Builder and select the segment you wish to delete in the list. Click on “Edit” to open the edition page, then, click on the “Delete segment” button on the bottom of the page.
Kameleoon offers a wide range of conditions allowing you to include or exclude all kind of visitors.
- Page URL: includes or excludes pages according to their URL or URL fragment.
- Page Title: includes or excludes pages according to their title
- Landing page URL: includes or excludes visitors according to the URL of the landing page
- Referring website URL: includes or excludes visitors according to the URL of the refererring site
- Traffic type: includes or excludes visitors according to where they come from (SEO, emailing, etc.)
- Acquisition channel: includes or excludes visitors according to their referrer (Google AdWords, Google Organic search, etc.).
- AdWords search keywords: Includes or excludes visitors according to AdWords keywords research.
- New or returning visitors: includes or exludes only new visitors or visitors coming back on your website.
- Visitor interests: Includes or excludes visitors with a specific interest
- Browser language: Includes or excludes visitors according to their languages
- IP location: Includes or excludes visitors according to their country, region or town.
- Device type: Includes or excludes visitors according to their devices (smartphone, tablet, etc.)
- Page viewed: Includes or excludes visitors according to pages visited previously: previous page, key page or number of pages. To create key pages, please read our article Creating key pages.
- Elapsed time: Includes or excludes visitors according to the time elapsed since their first visit, since the begining of the session or since the loading of the page.
- Number of visits: Includes or excludes visitors according to the amount of their visits
- Mouse out: includes visitors when the mouse leaves the browser window.
- Conversions: Includes or excludes visits during which a specific goal was reached.
- Onsite search keywords: Includes or excludes visitors according to keywords they typed in the website.
- Number of tabs opened: Includes or excludes visitors according to the number of opened tabs on the website.
- Weather: Includes or excludes visitors according to the weather in their location.
- Weekday: Includes or excludes visitors accessing the website on a specific day of the week
- Date range: Includes or excludes visitors accessing the website during a specific period.
- Timeslot: Includes or excludes visitors accessing the website during a specific time slot.
Includes or excludes visits according to the value of a custom data.
You can create custom data in your preferences. For further information, you can read our article Creating custom data.
- Browser cookie: Includes or excludes visitors according to the presence of a cookie in their browser, and eventually its value.
- Custom event: The test launches when specific events are triggered. To trigger an event, use the Kameleoon.API.trigerEvent(entName) method.
- Browser: Includes or excludes visitors according to their browser or their version.
- Operating system: Includes or excludes visitors according to their operating system (Windows, Mac OS, etc.)
- Element on the page: Includes or excludes visits according to the presence of an element on the page.